Senior Principle Investigator (2001-2011) in Pfizer R&D, La Jolla, CA, USA
Principle Investigator (1996-2000) in Pharmacia & Upjohn, Kalamazoo, MI, USA
Research Scientist (1987-1995) in Upjohn, Kalamazoo, MI, USA
Postdoctoral Research Associate (1982-1986) in Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (1980-1981) in Lund University, Chemical Center, Sweden
Graduate Student, Shanghai Institute of Pesticides, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai, China.
Drug discovery & Development
Services to Scientific Research Community
Associate Editor for “Health”
Advisory board member for “Protein & Peptide Letters”
Editorial board member for “Natural Science”
Guest Editor for “Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry”
PLoS One, Current Medicinal Chemistry, Current Drug Metabolism, PLoS Computational Biology, Journal of Theoretical Biology, Molecular BioSystems, Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, Pharmaceutical Research, Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Journal of Chromatography, Molecular BioSystems, Health, Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry, Current Protein and Peptide Science, et al.
- Zhong WZ, Zhan J, Kang P, Yamazaki S. Gender specific drug metabolism of PF-02341066 in rats--role of sulfoconjugation. Curr Drug Metab 2010, 11(4): 296-306.
- Nguyen L, Zhong WZ, Painter CL, Zhang C, Rahavendran AV, Shen Z. Quantitative Analysis of PD 0332991, A Cyclin-dependent Kinase inhibitor, in Xennograft Mouse Tumor Tissue by Supported Liquid Extraction Coupled with Liquid Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis 2010, 53(3): 228-234.
- Michaud K, Solomon DA, Oermann E, Kim JS, Zhong WZ, Prados MD, Ozawa T, James CD, Waldman T. Pharmacologic inhibition of cyclin-dependent kinases 4 and 6 arrests the growth of glioblastoma multiforme intracranial xenografts. Cancer Research 2010, 70(8): 3228-3238.
- Zhong WZ, Lalovic B, Zhan J. Characterization of In Vitro and In Vivo Metabolism of AG-024322, a Novel Cyclin-Dependent Kinase (CDK) Inhibitor. Health 2009, 1(4): 249-262.
- Miller AA, Bundy GL , Mott JE, Skepner JE, Boyle TP, Harris DW, Hromockyj, Keith R. Marotti AE, Zurenko GE, Munzner JB, Sweeney MT, Bammert GF, Hamel JC, Ford CW, Zhong WZ, Graber DR , Martin GE, Han F, Dolak LA, Seest EP, Ruble JC, Kamilar GM, Palmer JR, Banitt LS, Hurd AR and Barbachyn MR. Discovery and characterization of QPT-1, the first representative of a novel class of topoisomerase inhibitors active against resistant bacterial pathogens. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 2008, 52: 2806-2812.
- Chou KC, Cai YD, Zhong WZ. Predicting networking couples for metabolic pathways of Arabidopsis. EXCLI Journal 2006, 5: 55-65.
- Bai Y, Wang D, Yu ZX, Jia Y, Zhu FU, Wei DQ, Zhong WZ, and Chou KC. Ecdysterone Determination of Niuxi by Near-Infrared Diffuse Reflection Spectroscopy. Spectroscopy 2006, 21 (2): 40-43.
- Chou KC, Wei DQ., Du QS., Sirois S., Zhong WZ. Progress in computational approach to drug development against SARS Curr. Med. Chem 2006, 13: 3263-70.
- Patyna S, Laird AD, Mendel DB, O’Farrell AM, Liang C, Guan H, Vojkovsky T, Vasile S, Wang X, Chen J, Grazzini M, Yang CY, Haznedar JO, Sukbuntherng J, Zhong WZ, Cherrington JM, and Hu-Lowe D. SU14813 - a novel multi-receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor with potent anti-angiogenic and anti-tumor activity. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics 2006, 5(7): 1774-1782.
- Chou KC, Wei DQ, Zhong WZ: Binding mechanism of coronavirus main proteinase with ligands and its implication to drug design against SARS. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2003, 308: 148-151.
- Williams MG, Shobe EM, Bothwell BE, and Zhong WZ. Development of a sensitive bioanalytical method for determination of PNU-83757 in rat, monkey and human plasma: from LC-UV to LC-MS/MS. Journal of Pharmaceutical & Biomedical Analysis 2002, 30: 429-441.
- Zhong WZ, Williams MG, Brastetter DG. Toxicokinetics in drug development: An overview of toxicokinetic application in the development of PNU-101017, an anxiolytic drug candidate. Current Drug Metabolism, 2000, 1(3): 243-254.
- Zhong WZ, Williams MG. Enantiospecific determination of PNU-83894 and its major metabolite, PNU-83892, in plasma and its application in characterization of enantioselective pharmacokinetics of PNU-83894 in the dog. Journal of Chromatography A 2000, 871: 201-206.
- Jacobsen EJ, Stelzer LS, TenBrink RE, Belonga KL, Carter DB, Im WB, IM HK, Sethy VH, Tang AH, VonVoigtlander PF, Petke JD, Zhong WZ, Mickelson JW. Piperazine Imidazo[1,5-a]quinoxaline ureas as high-affinity GABAA ligands of dual functionality, Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 1999, 42: 1123-1144.
- Zhong WZ. Application of solid-phase extraction in the method development for determination of SEPA in human, rat, and rabbit serum using GC-FID method. Journal of Pharmaceutical & Biomedical Analysis 1998, 16: 1179-1187.
- Zhong WZ, Williams MG, Borin MT, Padbury GE. Species-dependent enantioselective pharmacokinetics of U-103017, a pyrone HIV protease inhibitor, Chirality 1998, 10: 210-216.
- Zhong WZ, Sanders PE, Hauer MJ, Vrbanac JJ. Quantirative analysis of 2-nnonyl-1,3-dioxolane by stable-isotope dilution gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography B 1998, 705: 39-45.
- Williams MG, Zhong WZ. Stereospecific determination of U-103017 in rat, dog, and human plasma using a pirkle-concept HPLC column. Journal of Chromatography B 1997, 694: 169-177.
- Skulnick HI, Johnson PD, Aristoff PA, Morris JK, Lovasz KD, Howe WJ, Anderson DJ, Reischer RJ, Bubdy GL, Schwartz TM, Banitt LS, Tomich PK, Lynn JC, Horng MM, Chong KT, Hinshaw RR, Dolak LA, Schwende FJ, Rush BD, Howard GM, Toth LN, Wilkinson KF, Kakuk TJ, Johnson CW, Cole SL, Zaya RM, Zipp GL, Possert PL, Dalga RJ, Zhong WZ, Williams MG, Romines KR. Structure-based design of nonpeptidic HIV protease inhibitors: The sulfonamide-substituted cyclooctylpyranones. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 1997, 40 (7): 1149-1164.
- Mesfin GM, Higgins MJ, Robinson FG, and Zhong WZ. The relationship between serum concentrations, hemodynamic effects and cardiovascular lesions in dogs treated with minoxidil. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 1996, 140: 337-344.
- Zhong WZ, Williams MG, Schuette MR, VandeGiessen TL and Jones BW. Pharmacokinetics of the individual enantiomers of cis-3,4-dichloro-N-methyl- N-[2-(1-pyrrolidinyl)-cyclohexyl]-benzamide monohydrochloride (U-54494A) in the Dog. Enantiomer, 1996, 1: 89-96.
- Zhong WZ and Williams MG. Simultaneous Quantitation of Pioglitazone and its Metabolites in Human Serum by Liquid Chromatography and Solid Phase Extraction. Journal of Pharmaceutical & Biomedical Analysis 1996, 14 (4): 465-473.
- Skulnick HI, Johnson PD, Howe WJ, Tomich PK, Chong KT, Watenpaugh KD, Janakiraman MN, Dolak LA, McGrath JP, Lynn JC, Horng MM, Hinshaw RR, Zipp GL, Ruwart MJ, Schwende FJ, Zhong WZ, Padbury GE, Dalga RJ, Shiou L, Possert PL, Rush BD, Wilkinson KF, Howard GM, Toth LN, Williams MG, Kakuk TJ, Cole SL, Zaya RM, Thaisrivongs S, and Aristoff PA. Structure-based design of sulfonamide substituted non-peptidic HIV protease inhibitors. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 1995, 38: 4968-4971.
- Mesfin GM, Robinson FG, Higgins MJ, Zhong WZ, DuCharme. The pharmacologic basis of the cardiovascular toxicity of minoxidil in the dog. Toxicology Pathology 1995, 23 (4): 498-506.
- Zhong WZ, Williams MG, Cook KJ, VandeGiessen TL, Jones BW, Rousch KE. First-Pass Effect of cis- 3,4-dichloro- N-methyl-N- (2-(1-pyrrolidinyl)- cyclohexyl)-benzamide (U-54494) in rats - A rat model with multiple cannulas for Investigation of gastrointestinal and hepatic metabolism. Pharmaceutical Research 1994, 11 (11): 1524-1529.
- Zhong WZ and Williams MG. Quantitative Determination of cis- 3,4-dichloro-N-methyl-N-(2-(1-pyrrolidinyl)-cyclohexyl)-benzamide and Three of Its Metabolites by High Performance Liquid Chromatography. Journal of Pharmaceutical Science 1993, 82 (10): 1049-1053.
- Zhong WZ. Application of Solid Phase Extraction in Determination of U-82217 in Rat Serum, Urine, and Brain, Journal of Chromatography 1993, 629: 83-87.
- Williams MG and Zhong WZ. Determination of U-85575 in rat serum by solid-phase extraction and high-performance liquid chromatography, Journal of Liquid Chromatography 1993, 16 (3): 743-763.
- Zhong WZ. Determination of 6-chloro-3-(3-cyclopropyl 1,2,4,-oxadiazol-5-yl)-5-methyl-imidazo<1,5-a-quinoxalin-4(5h)-one in rat serum, urine, and brain by solid-phase extraction and liquid chromatography , Journal of Pharmaceutical & Biomedical Analysis 1991, 9: 573-580.
- Zhong WZ. Determination of 3-(5-cyclopropyl-1,2,4-oxadiazol-3-yl)-5-(1-methylethyl)-imidazo-<1,5-a>- quinoxalin-4(5h)-one in serum by high-performance liquid chromatography , Journal of Chromatography 1991, 563: 428-434.
- Rush BD, Wilkinson KF, Zhong WZ, Closson SK, Lakings DB, and Ruwart MJ. Absolute oral bioavailability of ditekiren, a renin inhibitor peptide, in conscious rats, International Journal of Pharmaceutics 1991, 73: 231-237.
- Zhong WZ and Lakings DB. Determination of pioglitazone in dog serum using solid-phase extraction and high-performance liquid chromatography with ultraviolet (229 nm) detection. Journal of Chromatography 1989, 490: 377-385.
- Lemley AT, Wagenet RJ and Zhong WZ. Sorption and Degradation of Aldicarb and its Oxidation Products in a Soil- water Flow System as a Function of pH and Temperature'', Journal of Environmental Quality 1988, 17 (3): 408-414.
- Zhong WZ, Lemley AT and Wagenet RJ. Quantifying pesticide adsorption and degradation during transport through soil to ground water, Evaluation of Pesticides in Ground Water, ACS Symposium Series 315 (1986) 61-77.
- Zhong WZ, Lemley AT and Spalik J. Quantitative determination of ppb levels of carbamate pesticides in water by capillary gas-chromatography, Journal of Chromatography 1984, 299: 269-274.
- Lemley AT and Zhong WZ. Hydrolysis of aldicarb, aldicarb sulfoxide and aldicarb sulfone at parts per billion levels in aqueous mediums, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 1984, 32: 714-719.
- Lemley AT and Zhong WZ. Kinetics of aqueous base and acid hydrolysis of aldicarb, aldicarb sulfoxide and aldicarb sulfone, Journal of Environmental Science and Health, 1983, B18(2): 189-206.
- Zhou GQ and Zhong WZ. Diffusion-Controlled Reactions of Enzymes, European Journal of Biochemistry 1982, 128: 383- 387.